Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Little Longer

Our "One Last Hoorah" got a little extended. It's always hard when you make the rounds and say goodbye to everyone, pack up your family and leave only to turn around and come right back again. This is exactly what we did. We headed to the airport for an emotional, as always, goodbye. It's always difficult leaving when your kids are having so much fun. There are lots of tears and family to see us off. This year we got to the airport only to realize we had forgotten Luke's backpack, i.e. DVD player, DS, movies, etc. My brother Jackie ran home to get it for us and in record time, although it felt to us like he took forever. We always arrive at the airport with just enough time to check backs and get to the airplane, I hate long goodbyes. This one was the worst! The line was so long to go through security and we had to wait a little longer for that back pack! The batteries on my camera died and this is the only picture I got before we left.
Tucker and Beana. We arrived in Baltimore and hung out at the airport for 5 hours waiting to find out if we could catch a ride on the rotator. It was a no go. We caught a ride to a hotel and stayed the night. There was no plane going out the next day so we had to wait...story of our lives when flying Space A. After not even getting close to getting on the second plane Micah flew to Dover to help. Dover is an hour and a half drive, so the boys and I rented a car and went and got him. We spent one night in Dover and headed back to Baltimore. We didn't get on the plane...again. We decided to try flying out of Dover, afterall there were 7 planes going out and opposed to the one in Baltimore we thought we had a better chance. Well turns out that Baltimore flight we would have gotten on and most of the planes from Dover scratched. The ones that didn't we didn't get on anyways. So here we are driving back and forth from Baltimore to Dover trying to catch a ride home...not a lot of fun. My kids are troopers. They are the BEST travelers I have ever seen. We were able to fill our time with a little fun. My camera with dead batteries managed to catch a few shots of our 2 weeks in Baltimore/Dover.
We took the boys to the Funland at the beach.
They rode lots of rides. We did this twice. Once just me and the boys while we waited on daddy's plane and the second with Micah. They deserved all the fun we could squeeze in.
We hit the watering hole in Dover. I really wish we could have done this more than once, the kids LOVE it.
For mine and Micah's anniversary, 7 years, we took the boys to their first professional baseball game. The Orioles Vs. Reds. Luke loved it and Tucker loved the cotton candy. He like it so much we got it twice. We also made it to the inner harbor in Baltimore and took in the sights to finish off our day. While "stuck" in Baltimore we caught 3 movies at the mall and found other ways to fill our time. Our hotel had a pool so we swam a lot.

After two weeks of not getting home we decided to call it quits. Micah was out of leave and we were tired. Micah came home with us for a day and a half to visit with his family before purchasing a ticket home. It was great he got to see his family and visit with everyone it just wasn't quite long enough. We said our goodbyes to daddy and he was off to the airport without us. The boys and I settled in for the long haul, we had no idea how long it would be until we were going to make it home again.

While I wasn't the happiest at having to go back the boys were thrilled! Something amazing happened when we returned home. TUCKER LEARNED TO SWIM! Tuck wouldn't even jump in the water because he didn't want to get his face wet and he learned to swim! Once he figured out the whole 'holding your breath thing' the miraculous happened. He WANTED to learn to swim.
And there is the proof. The first time he jumped in I had to run and get my dad who had been trying all summer to get him to jump in. I wish I had had a camera to capture the look of astonishment on dads face.
And of course once we figured out the whole 'swimming thing' who could stop us now? That Tuck surprised us all this summer. While I was less than thrilled about not getting to go home this made the trip worth while.
My dear friend Jennifer Metaxas Conway came out quite a few times with her brood and my boys had the best time playing with her kiddos in the pool. We enjoyed the end of the summer swim dates.
Here are Luke and two of her boys Seth and Eli showing how well they swim under water.

I was sitting at my grandparents kitchen table watching my boys play in mamaw's toy drawer when my papaw asked me a question that changed how my summer would end. The very same day I called Baltimore and asked about flights and the gentlemen told me it would most likely be mid September before we could make it home. Of course this means we wait it our or purchase tickets home. Did I mention on August 1st we were moving on base?

Oh, back to my grandparents kitchen table. My papaw asked me if I had the money would I fly home or stay the rest of the summer and fly by military rotator? I assured him if I had the money I would ABSOLUTELY fly home. I missed Micah and my own bed. The kids missed their toys. I missed spaghetti eis! Papaw said to me, "Well, go home and buy your tickets. I've got the money in my pocket, you just tell me how much you need." I could not believe it. My grandfather has always had a huge heart and been very generous. It didn't matter what you needed if you asked him he would give it to you. My dad had told me this years ago. And I had watched my grandfather give everything he had to anyone who was willing to ask for help. But this, this was crazy. My grandparents were offering to buy my tickets. I didn't know what to say, I wanted to cry. I had just researched tickets that morning and knew there was no way I could afford them.

I gave him the biggest hug and grabbed my kids and ran home (across the street) to ask my dad if it was okay to take the money. He assured me that if he offered it was okay to take it. I found tickets on the internet and I was going home! I only had one more week!

June 29th finally arrived and me and the boys had to be at the airport at 6 am. Our itinerary: Fly from Kentucky to Michigan. 1 and 1/2 hour layover. Fly from Michigan to NY. 5 hour layover. Fly from NY to Berlin. 1 and 1/2 hour layover. Fly from Berlin to Frankfurt. 1 hour drive home. Did you catch all that? 3 states and 2 countries equaling a total of 4 flights. With two kids. Whew. (A little side note, I get a little aggravated when people complain about not wanting to drive a few hours for family functions and what not because it's too difficult with two kids or they complain about how difficult a 2 hour flight is.)

We arrived in Michigan got to our gate as quickly as you can with two kids, backpacks and carry-ons. It was delayed an hour. No big deal there was a delay after our next flight as well and this would just give us more time to charge our DVD player batteries. Every time we travel the minute we get settled we call home to let our families know we have made it safely. It was the crack of dawn and the only person that would be awake was my dad because he would be working. He answered his phone and I proceeded to tell him that I only had 2 minutes to talk and that we had made it and that our flight was delayed. "Your papaw died this morning," was his response. Of course this makes me silent as I whispered the word "what?" Dad said that it happened this morning, probably while I was at the airport or had just boarded the plane, that there was nothing I could do and that I should go home. I was in shock and wanted to catch the next flight home to see my family.

I did as dad suggested I went home. Papaw had bought our tickets and dad and I agreed he wouldn't have wanted me to make a fuss. He would have wanted me and the boys to go home. So I did. I hate that I didn't get to say goodbye. I will NEVER forget the last kind thing he did for me. He reunited my family. I miss him a lot and imagine when I go home next it will be very difficult, because to be honest it doesn't seem real that he won't be there. I hate it that he's gone. I know he had been having a difficult time for years and was probably ready to go "home." I just wish I had been there to say farewell. I imagine that closing your eyes here and waking up on the far side of the sky is amazing. The people he has had to say goodbye to over the years he finally gets to hug again. Dad, me, my boys and papaw spent a week at the lake together this summer. Papaw took me into town to get some allergy medicine, again another kind thing he did for me while I was home. I'm so thankful for that time alone with him. He told me stories about his childhood and what it was like. He told me of how and when he met my grandmother. He also told me what amazing parents he had and how much he missed them every day. I imagine he is happier now than he has been in years. We miss you so much papaw and hope your happy and healthy. I know it will be a few more years until we meet again, but until then I'll share stories with my boys about you and never let them forget all the wonderful things you have done for us. Love you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment