Sunday, August 12, 2012

Baseball Season

Another season has come to a close.  Luke played for team Storm this year in Ramstein.  Before the opening ceremonies parade each team had to make a banner.  We were all given a baseball to attach our child's picture to.  We took several and these were Luke's favorites of himself. 



 This is Luke's team with their banner. 
 And another of Luke's team.
 Here is Luke's team warming up before their first game.
 Luke had a difficult year this year.  He was spoiled last year playing at Okolona in Louisville last year and base sports are nothing like sports back home.  We practice one day a week and have one game a week.  We play about 8 or 10 games total.  There are just too many kids and teams and not enough facilities.  For instance we played our games on a soccer field.  There would be two games going on at a time on the soccer field, one at each end.  The military, well Air Force, is big on teaching good sportsmanship.  What does this mean?  This means not only do we not keep score, but we also don't make kids get off the bag when they get out.  They claim to be interested in teaching the kids how to play, but the kids aren't learning much in my opinion.  After Luke got 4 kids out running to first base in one inning, and all of them got to stay on the bag, he was frustrated.  After the game he told me that he wanted to quit.  He thought the rules were stupid.  He looked at me and said, "why do we even have to throw the ball to the bag if they don't get out?"  He made a great point.  The kids didn't learn there were consequences like getting out. 
The kids didn't learn how to play defense and next year when kids move up to coach pitch I think they will be in for rude awakenings.  Anywho, there's my rant.  Micah and I LOVE baseball/softball.  We really want our kids to enjoy playing and we are so lucky that so far Luke does.  He's competitive and just so naturally talented.  He got to play the pitchers mound and first base most of the time.  He was the only kid on the team that played last year.  At one of the practices the coach said, "If you want to learn to play you have to come to practice.  If you want to be good you need to watch Lucas."  He had a great season.
Fielding the ball.
Throwing the ball.
There have been a few outbreaks this school year of lice, so we bought Luke his own helmet.  He's so sweet, one of the little girls was getting ready to hit and didn't have a helmet and since he was one of the last ones to go he offered to let her borrow his.  This may have made my stomach turn if I didn't know her mom.  I know that sounds mean, but I really didn't want him bringing critters home.
Like all kids he loves to bat.
Luke was so lucky with his coaches this year.  Coach Darrell works at the youth center and was so kind and patient with the kids.  He did a great job.  The other coach helped the Ramstein High School team and he was great also. 
Luke and his best buddy Brett.  They were in class together so me and his mom Toni wanted to put them on the same t-ball team.  They loved playing together.
It's a shame we will be moving next year, I think Luke and Brett would have been life long friends if we were here longer.  This photo is at the last game.  After the game we went to the community center to the pizza joint for our party.  All of the kids get a trophy for participation.  Our coaches put superlatives on the trophies, at first I didn't think that was a good idea, but I was quite pleased after Luke got his.  Brett received the Golden Glove Award.  Joslynn, one of Luke's best friends, received Rookie of the Year.  All of the kids got an award that really did seem to fit them.  My Luke got the M.V.P. Award.  He was so excited, "mommy what does M.V.P. mean?"  After I told him what it meant he was so excited.  I wish so badly I had gotten a pic of him with his award.  I'm realizing I'm getting really bad at taking pictures.  I'm not complaining, I'm glad the base has sports, I just wish they lasted longer.  We hate to see the season end.  One last thing.  At the after party for the team the coach that helps with the high school team asked me why Luke was playing t-ball.  I was a bit confused by the question.  The obvious answer I gave him, with a confused look on my face, was that he played because he was six.  The coach told me he was way too good to play t-ball and he seemed bored and he really should have played coach pitch.  So here's to next year and coach pitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment