Sunday, August 12, 2012

Luxembourg American Military Cemetery

We have been meaning to visit the Luxembourg American Military Cemetery since we arrived and just never made time for it.  We finally went after mom flew home.  I really wish we had done it sooner, not only would mom have enjoyed it I think Darrell would have too.  It's truly an amazing feeling to walk through.  The emotions you feel when you walk the grounds are unexpected.  I knew it would be somber, but I didn't know how upset the markers would make me.  To know that these men never made it home and that their families probably never made it here after they were laid to rest.  I wondered to myself how many of the men and women here had actual family members that made the trip to the memorial.  I also wondered if the men were actually buried there or there was just a cross erected with their name and the grave was empty, the body never recovered. 

 It was a very beautiful place to visit.
 The memorial chapel.
 A list of names of men either here or missing, I'm not sure.
Entrance to memorial chapel.
A man of battle grounds.
We were standing at the mouth of the chapel entrance, the cemetery is just a bit further out.
The chapel.
 It was truly a beautiful place to visit.
 We found quite a few headstones that had Kentucky on them.  I had really hoped to make it home this summer.  Micah wanted me to do some research and take these pictures and try to find the families that belonged to the soldiers.  He thought it would be nice to take the families of the fallen a photo and tell them thank you for their sacrifice. 
 The boys saluting a fallen hero. 
 Another soldier from Kentucky.
George Patton's headstone is at the head of the cemetery.  It appears he is looking out over his men.  I would like to spend memorial day here next year.  It's amazing how many of these American Cemeteries are peppered across Europe and how many soldiers are in each one.  This cemetery has 5,076 men and women buried in it.  Every name we read brought up so many questions.  How old was he?  Did he leave behind a wife and new baby?  After watching movies like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers I couldn't help but wonder what these men were doing when they lost their lives.  There really is no way to say thank you.  It puts a whole new perspective on our military and the families that sometimes get left behind.  Looking at Europe, Germany especially in all its beauty, it's hard to imagine what life must have been like 70 years ago here during the WWII.  Of all the memories I will take home with me, in the four years we will have lived here, I think this will be one that stays with me forever.  God Bless the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment